Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What I Learned In A Sandbox of Angels: Awareness often trumps Effort


What I Learned In A Sandbox of Angels: Awareness often trumps Effort

If you found this and choose to read it, thank you. Hopefully you get these minutes back and then some, after all im not out to waste someones precious time. I was asked a few times what brought on such a title. It's really just five words that apply. WHAT. I. LEARNED. SANDBOX. ANGELS.  The rest are a bridge that hopefully help create a positive message and vision. Its many things I guess so stick with me good people.

Simply it all starts with the five year old in me brought back to life by many of you. In a sandbox. At the age of 30 I'm going back to being five. Humbling myself. This is a new adventure and I'll enter it as I know nothing but passion, faith and being mentally strong. As we grow older we often lose some of our zest in life, myself included just thru the process of maturity. Why can't we have both forever? Rich,  poor, white, black,  man, women Republican or Democrat. It's the age of constant disagreement, being offended and not doing enough good as a society.  Our differences are shoved so far down our throat by the media that sometimes you want to send it back like a burger over saturated with butter at a restaurant.  But overall we just think it's the norm now. How complacent is that? That five year old believed in you more then that. He was never complacent when he played.

Lets start with that. The five year old in you was a fascinating thing, emotion poured out of your soul with the unpredictability that only mother nature can emulate. That kid forgave easily, was resilient,  didn't harbor resentment, was naturally grateful for the time people invested and shared with him or her. I'm going back to my sandbox with what 30 years of blessings and multitude of angels imposed upon me. Both those smiling upon me from heaven and those constructively trying to make me better here in the present. I could keep all this to myself but what good is that. I read a quote that said "What you do for yourself is gone when you are, what you do for others is how you create a legacy after your gone". How true, but often I stop myself before anyone does. A five year old didn't let anything stop him except the sun going down and calling it a day.

This is a new adventure and in essence I'll be a five year old in a sandbox speaking thru the eyes of an incredibly blessed 30 year old and what I've learned thru it all. I wont hold back, I don't really care what 100 people think of this as long as one person thinks something of it. Then pretty sure I made someone proud. Parent, sibling, coworker, boss, stranger or former enemy there is no wrong type of person to help.

Being 5 is an excuse to do things that often don't make sense. I'll make sense of this as I go. I've learned and still learning. First thing I learned is believing makes sense. This to an English teacher would probably be a flood of red pen marks thanks to misspelled words and grammar errors. But that's ok. I'm five. This is my sandbox and I believe what I'm doing in this realm. The sand will be my words and the castles I build out of words are symbols and pillars of strength that I'll categorize as "Angels & Blessings" of real experiences and people. Will consist of highs, lows, sad, angry, depressed, rejuvenated, inspired and anything else. It all will be manipulated and turned into a positive energy force like a five year old imagination in action.

Why? Because I have an agenda, an agenda to not be 50 and realized I missed opportunity due to fear of what others think. Why? Because a decade ago someone took me off park benches and walked down Highway 57 and told me I was going to do something. I'm not letting him down. Because my Aunt created this and I told her I would if she did. I'll hold up my end of the bargain. Because January 2nd at breakfast someone told me to be "mentally strong" and I'm not going to let him be wrong. He usually isn't wrong about people I've learned. Because I don't know who Lance Armstrong is, that yellow bracelet can't be tainted since I remember that more for an angel named Luke. Not some cyclist that was doping. He saved me at my lowest. Pay it forward was his suggestion. Best way I know how as of this moment, is in these words. Luke I miss ya. Because another friend told me I owed it to him to keep writing. My bad I took hiatus, RIP Beav. As you used to say "you already know". Last but not least because I was raised by the Michael Jordan of moms, and she always told me to be the best me i could be. I'm still trying.
Why do it now? Because it officially is MJs birthday. Because I asked for help on Facebook with the technical stuff and several offered up there help. For those people I wont take this slow, I'll let it go and fill in the blanks on this blog later.

Because is one of a five year olds go to words. Along with "I Want".

I want to just try. Life's a time trial and I'll keep on trying. I'll try for my daughter. I want her to be special beyond what even my wildest of dreams envision. I believe in kamra. I want to create her a typhoon of good karma if I'm able and I won't know unless I try. So I'm trying because I want something. I want to be better. I want to start to repay this eternal debt of blessings and angels gave to me far past the few I mentioned above. I want YOU to be feel lucky like I have at times.

Five years olds need things. I need this. I need to be a better person so this helps hold me accountable and true to the vision of the world I believe we can create. I don't need to change the world but I need to make my corner of the world better. So do you. You being better does not affect my life it benefits me. Your best is whats best for me and my best is what's best for you. I need to be a team player. This is what I can give to the team.

This is the beginning of "What I Learned in A sandbox of Angels".

It's really a bunch of things all driven by a singular vision of giving back and hopefully making one person smile. Make one person better then they intended that morning when they woke up. That's all my sandbox has been about in the 20/20 hindsight of my life...im just starting to appreciate it more a score and five years later.

The most cinematic thing in life is emotion and passion in its rawest form. That five year old in you had it.  Always. The sun is coming down on my second blog post and inevitably the longest. It's a vision. A belief. It's you. Ultimately it's mostly all of you behind these words, I'm Robin to your Batman.

It doesnt always have to make sense I said of being a five year old as long as it invigorates your soul. When the sun drops a part of that five year old hangs on running out of his sandbox hopping on his bicycle making some extra laps up and down the driveway. Racing the sunset his bicycle tires roll over pebbles like I envision this blog rolling over negativity and missed opportunities in your and my corner of the world. I'm not a teacher but rather a teammate, a father, a brother, a coworker,  cousin, friend and someone you can confide in.

Just a five year old in a sandbox and I want to build something. Only as strong as you all helped make me and this will be a process but I'll recreate myself from a five year olds soul. Tommorrow will be the new best day of your life. Find your five year old with the wisdom you posses now.

That's life in its purest and most authenticated form of passion you ever possessed. Just ask him. See you when the sun comes back up, I'll be in the sandbox. Learning and trying. Believing. I'll see you there.

God Bless & Stay Cool Good People :)
Joe

9 comments:

  1. This is great, Joe. Helps a person realize what's important in life & think about the bigger picture! Thank you so much for sharing & I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two people that made this most possible of course are first two to comment. Thank you. You two amongst many will hopefully bring out my best. Thank you from bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are allowing your inner voice to be heard! Writing is therapeutic for the writer as well as the reader. Can't wait to hear what's next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful Joe!! You're very talented, thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So proud of the person you have become and the insight you have on life!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like it. .good analogy. .we all know how persistent 5 year olds are when it comes to finishing and completing tasks and not worrying what others think! Try to remember that on a daily basis...come a long way and have goals to accomplish for myself and son and can't concern myself with the "small" stuff..enjoyed the read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well spoken Joe, though I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Your words are truly motivating cause their pure and unadulterated thoughts... I'm going to read this every day for the next week or month or however long it takes me to absorb the positive energy contained within your words and snap out of this rut I've been stuck in for awhile now..you can't let life beat you, you gotta beat life..thanks buddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much my friend, hope it has helped. But you are one of many that have helped fuel this fire, so thank you for believing in me. And yes we do need to beat life in many ways.

      Delete